The Refinery Hub: JamnagarYou have heard about large refineries all around the world but do you know that Jamnagar Refinery (Reliance Industries) in Jamnagar, Gujarat, is the largest refinery in the world! It is a private crude oil refinery and was commissioned on 14th July 1999. It started with an installed capacity of 668,000 barrels per day.
Today, Jamnagar has become a 'Refinery hub' and houses the refining complex --- largest in the world. The refining capacity more than 1.24 million barrels of oil per day is the largest from a single location in the whole world!
Jamnagar Refinery - An Asset to the NationThe Jamnagar refining complex was built in a record time. Another refinery owned by Reliance in the Special Economic Zone (SEZ) at Jamnagar is the sixth largest in the world! Petroleum fuels are also exported by Reliance in African countries through its subsidiary GAPCO - Gulf Africa Petroleum Corporation. There are many refineries in India in different states.
However, the Jamnagar refinery stands out because of many reasons -
- Jamnagar refinery has aided India to become an exporter of petroleum products.
- Crude processing capacity of 1.24 million Barrels Per Stream Day (BPSD).
- Awards won by Jamnagar Refinery include 'International Refiner of the Year' award, Golden Peacock Global Award for Sustainability (2010), Greentech Platinum award (Safety category) etc.
- It houses some of the world's largest units like Coker, Fluidised Catalytic Cracker (FCC), Alkylation, and Polypropylene plants.
- Fuels from Jamnagar refinery are exported to different nations all around the globe.
- The modernized refinery can produce gasoline and diesel of any grade.
- The refineries are located on the West coast of India which imparts advantages such as low cost of transportation including proximity to high-growth markets.
- Focus on health, safety and environment with special stress on sustainable development.
- Lowest operating costs are ensured due to scale of operations and energy efficiency.
- Optimized asset utilization due to working of Supply and trading team in real-time with refinery operations.
- All grades of crude oil can be processed here thereby meeting diverse product specifications.
- Products produced here meet the stringent specifications globally.
- The refinery can process wide range of crude oils, including heavy high-sulfur sour crude which is not done in most refineries.
- Most of the output of the refinery is meant for export which targets U.S. market (for gasoline) and European market (for diesel).
Products Produced in Jamnagar RefineryThe Jamnagar Refinery processes diverse varieties of crude oils and petroleum products for export while meeting the demands of Indian market as well.Some of the products produced here include Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) (used as domestic and industrial fuel), Pripylene (feedstock for polypropylene, Naptha (used for petrochemicals), Gasoline (used as transport fuel), Jet or Aviation Turbine fuel (used as aviation fuel), Superior Kerosene Oil (used as domestic fuel), High-Speed diesel (used as transport fuel), Sulphur (feedstock for fertilizers and pharmaceuticals, and Petroleum coke.
Jamnagar - World's Oil CityJamnagar is also referred to as 'World's Oil City' because it houses the world's largest refinery that belongs to Reliance Industries. Refinery belonging to Essar Oil and Behrampur Refinery are also located in Jamnagar. Jamnagar has made its mark as 'Brass city' too due to setting up of many brass workshops here.
The expansion of Jamnagar Refinery began in 2005 and was completed in the year 2008 with the refinery covering an area of which is equal to 1/3 the size of Manhattan!
IOC (Indian Oil Corporation) has plans to build Greenfield refinery in Mundra while RIL and Essar intend to set up a facility or expand capacity in Jamnagar. RIL (Reliance Industries Limited) is looking forward to process cheap and heavy crudes by building a 4000,000 barrels per day refinery at its Jamnagar complex.