Local Administration Bodies in Jamnagar
Local Governing Bodies in Jamnagar
There are Local Bodies for Governing local affairs in almost all the small and big cities of India, even in rural India and this concept of Local Government bodies is nothing new in our country. The Vedic Age saw the emergence of Local Government in India for the first time when there were several local bodies like Dasagrami, Satgrami, Vimasapati, Gramayavadin.
Jamnagar Municipal CorporationThe Jamnagar City of Gujarat is managed and supervised by JMC or Jamnagar Municipal Corporation, the key Local Body that looks after the administration and governs the city of Jamnagar quite efficiently. The JMC was brought to picture and given the administrative responsibilities so that the citizens of Jamnagar are not deprived of any civic facility that could make their life smooth and easy. JMC executes its administrative functions with regard to all local public related affairs and sees to it that the Jamnagar citizens are provided with all the basic and truly vital services like Health, Road & Transport, Sanitation & Drainage, Light, Water Supply and so on and the present goal of JMC is to incorporate latest advanced technologies in the Governing process or Local affairs management system in order to keep pace with the changing times.
Address of JMC:
Jamnagar Municipal Corporation
Jamnagar, Gujarat 361001
Jamnagar City Council
Jamnagar City Council came into being on December 30th, 1875. It started collecting revenue on large scale since 1st of July, 1902 with the goal of making the Body economically self-sufficient. 2nd October, 1949, was a significant date for Jamnagar because that was the day when the Municipality of Jamnagar actually came into being. The Jamnagar Municipal Corporation was the next big leap towards a solid governance of the city and it came into being on October 6th, 1981. The administrative functions and operations undertaken and executed by JMC strictly fall within the rules and regulation specified under the Bombay Provincial Municipal Corporation Act (1949)
Services and Facilities by JMCThe major services offered to the Jamnagar citizens by JMC include:
- Cleaning of Public Drainage Systems, Open Gutters, public toilets & latrines and their maintenance as well
- Looking after Street Lighting facilities and lighting facilities in other public properties like parks or gardens
- Offering Citizens optimum protection from ghastly accidents or devastating fire
- Focusing on the development of Slums and contributing at least 10% of the revenue income for that purpose
- Maintenance of all the sites of people’s interest such as monuments, parks, gardens, lakes etc
- Arrange vaccination programs at the correct intervals and spread awareness against infectious diseases
- Cleaning, Construction plus maintenance of public roads, sub-ways, bridges
- Administration plus maintenance of burial grounds and funeral places
- Cleaning streets, roads & maintenance of city space
- Collection & Disposal of Toxic & Filthy Garbage
- Offering Facilities of Primary Education to children and maintaining it
- Offering Birth Registration and Death Registration services to citizens
- Undertake relief work in case a National Calamity such as earthquake, famine or drought strikes
So these are the major services and facilities offered by JMC to the Jamnagar citizens. Shri Dineshbhai N Patel was elected to the post of Mayor on the 19th of June, 2013 and has really proved himself as an efficient Mayor for JMC and for the Jamnagar city as a whole.